--- Murray <upt...@uptowngallery.org> wrote:
> As far as man-made lights go, fluorescent lamps are second only to the
> various discharge lamps (metal vapor, HID, etc) for UV production, and these
> are only exceeded by sunlight.
>
> Fluorescents produce UV in their internal arc, and the coating on the inside
> of the lamp absorbs the UV and creates visible light.

My first light box was made with regular flourescent lights, but I found that
they really didn't give me the quantity of ultraviolet that would allow for
"reasonable" time exposures.  I've recently built one with black lights and the
results are considerably better - about 10 minutes or so for cyanotype.

The sun works as a good starting point, but one will find more consistency and
higher contrast with a flourescent bank.

Cheers -

george

=====
Handmade Photographic Images