Thanks. Can you suggest a printer which uses the quadtone inks? I've looked
at Cone's website and looked at the info on his inks.

The Epson 1160 seems to be the large format affordable printer of choice for quadtone inks. I got a refurbished one for $154 + $37 shipping from ubid.com. They have them listed all the time; if you are patient, you may find one for $135-145. I am setting it up for color bulk archival inks (Generations from MediaStreet).

I bought an 860 printer (small format, otherwise like the 1160) for $129 with free shipping from outpost.com. Epson has a $50 rebate through 3/31/01 -- so net cost of $79. This one has the quad inks.

For both the 860 and 1160, I am using the continuous ink system from MIS Associates. $68 for the hardware (bottles, tubing, etc.) and $52 four 4-oz bottles of quadtone inks (or $60 for the MediaStreet color inks. By comparison, Jon Cone's Piezography quad inks are $260 for 4x4 bottles..

I have left my 750 as is for use with Epson ink cartridges. The archival pigment-based color inks are not as vibrant as the dye-based original inks. And I use the 750 for color glossy prints, because . . .

The only other caveat is that archival color or quad inks do not print well on glossy papers. Epson Archival Matte paper works well. Cone's software ($295) seems reasonable if you use lots of papers, because he supplies many profiles. (If you choose to afford his inks). I am settling on a few papers.

Hope that helps -- and that not too many are bothered by the off-topic discussion.

Tom