I've only had the printer for 2 weeks so far, but I've been impressed
with the B&W capability of the Epson 875 DCS (which is the same
print engine and inks as the Epson 870).  You have to tell the printer
to print the photo using color inks (so that it doesn't use just black)
and I haven't seen any color tinting show up.  (I have only printed
very few B&W images as yet, but one reason I chose this printer
was that a couple of online reviews reported that it worked well for
printing B&W photos.)

Mike Vande Bunt