On 8/6/06, MyRealBox <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hello dmccunney,

Monday, August 7, 2006, 12:46:24 AM, you wrote:

> On 8/5/06, MyRealBox <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> > Yes, Palm TX (T|X). A must to go online with Plucker.
>>
>> > In fact, to go online I suppose it would open Blazer, right? Or could
>> > another browser be used? Is there any browser which can open a native HTML
>> > file from the card, w/o having to Pluck? Or a means of Plucking straight on
>> > the Palm (i.e., I find a site while browsing with my Palm, and Pluck it on
>> > the fly, from the Palm)?
>>
>> http://www.opera.com

> Referring to Opera Mini?

> I have that here, along with half a dozen other web browsers I've
> tried on my Tapwave Zodiac 2.  I haven't tried Blazer, but it would
> need to be *really* bad for Opera Mini to be preferable.

> Opera Mini is a Java applet.  You need a compatible version of IBM's
> Java Virtual Machine for PalmOS to use it.  Given this, I question
> whether it could be called from Plucker.

> Even if you can, because it's a Java app, it doesn't follow the Palm
> UI guidelines, so it behaves like nothing else on a Palm device.  And
> while rendering is excellent, it doesn't seem to support Javascript
> (or CSS), and it's *really* sluggish on my device.  (The TX uses a
> faster processor, and may be better.) The current version also doesn't
> support the 320x480 screen, and I haven't been able to get it to open
> a local HTML file.  (Due to issues with Javascript and CSS support, I
> haven't found a Palm browser that does do a good job of that.)

> I got it running mostly to see whether I *could*  I wouldn't try to
> use it seriously.  I prefer Novarra's nWeb, though Mobirus' Xiino is
> also worth a look.

OK.  OK.

What is your suggestion for a free browser then?

None.  Aside from the one bundled with your device, there really
*aren't* any decent free browsers for PalmOS.  The only third party
ones I'm aware of are Opera Mini, Eudora for PalmOS, Xiino, and nWeb.
Opera Mini I've already discussed.  nWeb and Xiino are time-limited
shareware.  Eudora is ancient and text only.

(There is also Picsel Browser, originally bundled on some Clies and
now available stand alone.  Picsel is a general file viewer for
PalmOS, handling a variety of graphics files, PDFs, and other things,
and capable of browsing the web.  But while not a Java app, it has the
same issues as Opera Mini in terms of UI, and there will be a
substantial learning curve in using it.  It's also time-limited
shareware.)

There *is* a version of Access NetFront floating around the net,
ripped from a Clie and patched to run on other OS5 devices, but that
has its own issues.  (Like, requiring Dmitry Grinberg's shareware
Unlimited Dynamic Memory Hack to run in my device: the 10MB of dynamic
heap the Zodiac supplies isn't sufficient, and it crashes and burns on
invocation unless UDMH is active and doubling the reported available
heap.)  And there is the question of whether it is *legal* to run it
on anything save the Clies it was bundled with.

Browser support is a sore point for PalmOS, and the best I've seen
would only qualify as "acceptable" on other platforms.  I'd ideally
like to see a port of Firefox, but until the rumored next generation
od PalmOS based on embedded Linux arrives, I don't believe it's
possible.

If you aren't willing to spend money, you are pretty much stuck with
Blazer, but the point is moot till the function works in Plucker.

One of the Plucker devs was wondering about the possibility of getting
the C++ version of the Plucker distiller running on PalmOS, and being
able to create Plucker documents directly on the Palm, but the general
opinion seems to be "Can't do it.  Too big and requires too much
memory to be possible on any extant device, and too damn slow  on a
Palm if you *could* do it."

Best regards,
 HenryH                            mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
______
Dennis