Craig, I think you are missing the point.  So, not to call you out on the
carpet here but have you ever managed a large enterprise?  If so could you
please explain your ideal concept of how you manage to keep productivity
high and cost low without use of any non-free or non-open products?  Take
Asterisk for example.  I love it but the total cost of ownership is
outrageously high in comparison to systems like Avaya and ShoreTel.  And
that is without the incredible ease of integration of systems like ShoreTel
have with outlook. You bag on Exchange but offer no comparative substitute.
You complain about the fact it uses AD and how much it costs even though it
is included free in several flavors of Exchange distribution.  You complain
about mailbox implementation but seem to think it is the only DB your
company would be running.  How do you back up your Oracle, MySQL, DB2, or
Postges systems?  And again with the scanning, it provides it's own free
scanning system, however it is idiotic to be dinging the bulk of your spam
scanning on the mail server.  By the time it reaches your server the cost of
resources expended to handle it far outweigh the cost of third party
scanning.  And the fact that Third party AV scans can be integrated easily
is not a bad thing, saying so is like saying postfix sucks because you can
use spamassisen and calmav.  In fact I can use clamAV but it does not
provide the same level of service for the same maintenance cost of better
products like Avast.  That said you say the only client is outlook, so my
question is what server/client system do you have that provides anywhere
near as much to the party as exchange/outlook?  If you have one I would
really, really, love to try it out!  But I have not found one.  Certainly
Cyrus is not it.  And for cost I can put an exchange system in for a 70
person office with all the clients and servers licensed from scratch with AD
and everything, including the server and my time to set it up for less then
$1500.  In addition each users outlook costs only $40 and that also includes
all the other MS bundled stuff we have not talked about (Share point, etc.).
And while there are far better solutions for nearly all of it (especially MS
SQL Server) Tell me now.  Can you purchase a server, provide a integrated
collaborative PIM suite in a single interface providing mail, contacts,
basic CRM, takes, notes, and journal com tracking for the same price?  If so
I really would like to see it because I have bee hunting for this for almost
10 years!  I hold fast that Exchange is one of very, very few MS products
that has a very high ROI.  And, have you every had to integrate a BES with
something other then Exchange?  Or are you some one who has never managed
more then a handful of mobile devices.

Now if you're a single person or a company of 5 it is stupid to implement
exchange. Use Google.  If you're a fleet of sales people who never talk to
each other and have an independent sales management application, then again,
Exchange is not your option, but for most small campus based businesses that
employ a group of average people who need to communicate easily with their
teams exchange is your answer.  In the real world your business needs and
the bottom line dictate the solution, not your personal feelings.  And time
and time again, for medium business after medium business, Exchange has
provided.  If you really want we can conger up an average small company
prototype and each deliver a robust communications plan.  But I think your
average CFP will pick the exchange plan every time.

And yes one of my three home computers is MS, and yes I run outlook on it
(Evolution and thunderbird on the other two)  But Outlook is my primary PIM.

I find on lists like this I have the fringe voice of pay/proprietary
software, just like in the business world I am the fringe voice of free and
open source.  So, I get flamed from both sides.