On Fri, Apr 12, 2024 at 01:33:39AM -0700, Russell Senior wrote:
> Cat5 can handle gigabit just fine over house-scale runs, in my
> experience. You might have a piece that only has two pairs
> connected, which would knock you down to 100Mbps. The switch usually
> will give some indication of the speed it trains at, a different
> colored LED or one that just isn't lit. Check your switch's user
> manual.

I temporarily repurposed an older Chromebook with a USB3-
to-CAT5 dongle to test Ziply.  The signal went through a
D-Link DGS-2205 5 port gigabit switch, (which feeds the
link to the main gigabit switch downstairs) and two 6 foot
lengths of CAT6 cable.

Ziply
Cat6 #1
DGS-2205
Cat6 #2A or #2B (two different 6 foot cables tried)
USB3-to-CAT5 (years old)
Chromebook (years old)

Using "Internet Speed Test" and Cat6 cable #2A: 190/200 Mbps.
Using "Internet Speed Test" and Cat6 cable #2B: 266/292 Mbps.

Using the house network (4 cables, two gigabit switches,
and a patch panel) 90/95 Mbps, as reported earlier.

Cabling DOES matter.

A newer laptop with gigabit ethernet and Cat6E cabling
might achieve 330/330 Mbps, like the Ziply technician test.
I don't need that much speed (yet).

Eventually I may move my offsite rimuhosting websites to my
own server near the Ziply (with Cat7? cabling?), along with a
big battery backup, and a gasoline standby generator outside.

Better PROVEN ways to provide green power and big battery
backup would also make an interesting discussion ...
but please change the subject line first.

Keith L.

P.S.  The Chromebook is our expendable "look at internet
media content, get Powned" machine, never connected to the
rest of the house network inside our firewall.
When we aren't teleconferencing, we flip a penny-weighted
flap over the camera.  Microphone still active, but we
take care to not to discuss our family's ICBMs in the
same room as the Chromebook. :-)

"Daughter, you are sixteen now, and mature for your age.
Here's a set of car keys, and the launch codes."

--
Keith Lofstrom          kei...@keithl.com