On Mon, Apr 15, 2024 at 6:07 PM Keith Lofstrom <kei...@keithl.com> wrote:

> keithl wrote:
> > to the new optical network terminal ... about the size
> > of a large paperback book, and powered by a 12V/2A
> > wallwart (wallwart wire down the preexisting cable
> > tray, cat5e cable using the same armored tray).
>
> Good news!
>
> The Ziply optical network terminal is actually a smaller
> device, 5.5x5.3x1 inch, snapped to the front of a 1 inch
> deep tray.  The tray behind holds a few loops of fiber
> optic cable ... taking up slack in the feed from the street.
>
> Note that in my case, I have a crapton of fiber slack,
> left over from the prior Verizon ONT install.  So there
> is a large separate box to the side, with about 20 more
> big loops of fiber optic.
>
> ( Perhaps they were thinking (?!) we would build a new
> house someday, farther back on our 300 foot deep lot. )

This is standard practice. Service drops come in a few lengths. The cost of
the extra length is much smaller that the cost of splicing a more precise
length, so typically the installer paces off the approximate distance
required adds a comfortable margin, and picks the next larger length out of
the bin in the truck.

> Below the ONT is a cover for cabling and connectors
> which SNAPS DOWNWARDS to reveal, among other things,
> a standard connector to the generic 12V wall wart.
>
> THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING.
>
> The devices that will be associated with the Ziply ONT:
>
> 1) A PC Engines APU firewall computer
> 2) An access point for PersonalTelco public wifi
> 3) A 5 port gigabit switch
> 4) The Ziply optical network terminal itself
>
> ALL run on some approximation of 12V DC.  Yay!

FYI: Pascal, the PC Engines guy, warned me that the APU took "precisely
12V", or at least it didn't have the high end margin that many 12V devices
do. You should investigate that further before plugging in to higher
voltages than the standard power supply provides.

--
Russell Senior
russ...@personaltelco.net