"Regular" Linux is designed for a useful user experience.
There are two (or more?) "Real Time Linux" distros that
are designed to control hardware:  RTLinux, and Real-Time
Linux with PREEMPT_RT patches added to the kernel.
I have not found details of benchmarks for these.
How "real" is real?  Millisecond response?  Microsecond?
Less?

I can imagine designing a PCIe card for network test;
full throttle rapid packet speed test, but also (with
some "simple" analog circuitry controlled by "real time"
software, cable testing with nanosecond TDR (time delay
reflectometry), using a technique resembling "count the
falling dominos by the loudness of the clatter they make".
That would require microsecond response in a tight realtime
loop, controlling analog circuitry that converts
microsecond intervals into brief nanosecond intervals.

( Also using an analog circuit technique called
"dual slope", which we need not dwell on here )

A Cat 6 cable is 5 nanoseconds per meter, 10 ns down and
back.  Some degradations (such as RJ45 connectors) are
smaller, but can add up and limit bandwidth.  The right
hardware and software might help network engineers observe
and understand these fast phenomena, and cure some rather
subtle gigabit-rate signalling and cabling problems.

Keith L.
--
Keith Lofstrom          kei...@keithl.com