RTLinux, and Real-Time Linux with PREEMPT_RT patches added to the kernel.

The only RTOS that I'm familiar with is VxWorks. This is the OS the Nortel
Passport Multi-Service telecom switches ran on.

Coincidentally, both VxWorks and RTLinux are both developed by Wind River
Systems.

VxWorks was quite impressive in the detail level of configuration, performance
tuning and troubleshooting. Combined with the excellent hardware engineering of
the line cards, these switches where often very challenging for us lowly,
knuckle dragging field engineers to provision correctly for service.

"A Cat 6 cable is 5 nanoseconds per meter, 10 ns down andback. Some
degradations (such as RJ45 connectors) are smaller, but can add up and limit
bandwidth. The right hardware and software might help network engineers observe
and understand these fast phenomena, and cure some rather subtle gigabit-rate
signalling and cabling problems."

One thing that I really loved about Nortel, is that IMHO, they were a hardware
engineering company. I spent many an evening & weekend digging through their
technical hw engineering documents. Which were just top notch. They were just
so detailed and thorough about specs, limits, bottlenecks, industry standards
and if they departed from them and performance optimization, for which based on
their own engineering lab tests, the set all the defaults to.

I'll never love nor hate a piece of hardware so much as the Nortel Passport
Multi-Service Switch. RIP Nortel Networks.