On 2001.08.08 17:15 Federico Sevilla III wrote:
> On Wed, 8 Aug 2001 at 14:53, Allan Garcia wrote:
> > any ideas on how can i recover a root password on a Freebsd 4.3 linux?
>
> FreeBSD is _NOT_ Linux. It's a BSD (Berkeley Software Distribution). :)
>
>  --> Jijo
>
> PS- There are two things that came out of Berkeley: LSD and BSD. Hmmm ...
> are you smelling what I'm smelling? (no, that wasn't me) ;>

Huh. AFAIK, LSD (Lysergic Acid Diethylamide) was discovered in Switzerland
by Albert Hoffman, whilst working for the Sandoz Chemical (a large
pharmaceutical that has now merged with Ciba-Geigy to form Novartis). Tim
Leary, the main US advocated for LSD taking in the '60s is from Harvard.
And the Beatles, who sang "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" (LSD, get it) are
from Liverpool, England. While Berkeley was the centre of the "Flower
Power" movement in the '60s, and a lot of LSD was taken there, so were a
lot of other psychotropic substances (cannabis, heroin, quaaludes, etc).
So it would be historically inaacurate to say that LSD came from
Berkeley... unlike BSD, which did.

A quick glance at the Berkeley Website shows some of the things that DID
come out of UC Berkeley (aside from BSD)

"In the 1930s research on campus burgeoned in nuclear physics, chemistry,
and biology, leading to the development of the first cyclotron by Ernest O.
Lawrence, the isolation of the human polio virus, and the discovery of all
the artificial elements heavier than uranium. Sixteen members of the
Berkeley faculty have been awarded Nobel Prizes  for these and subsequent
discoveries, as well as in literature and economics, for liberal arts kept
pace with physical sciences. "

Cito "stickler for historical accuracy" Maramba

_
Philippine Linux Users Group. Web site and archives at http://plug.linux.org.ph
To leave: send "unsubscribe" in the body to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To subscribe to the Linux Newbies' List: send "subscribe" in the body to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]