gharris999;447867 Wrote:
> I don't think a SB3 actually queries the server for time, although I
> assume that it should be sending something along the lines of status
> request packets.  I don't know enough about the protocol to really say.
> The SB3, while it looks like a clock, isn't a clock.  I think everything
> having to do with time display on the SB3 happens on the server in
> SqueezeCenter.  The SB3 is just a dumb display, as far as I know.  The
> Boom, on the other hand, has a RTC and functions like a real clock.  I
> assume that all future Squeezebox player products will have this
> feature.
>
> But, yes, my experience in configuring NICs to trigger a wakeup on more
> permissive conditions has always resulted in too many spurious wakeups.
> So I limit my NIC config to magic-packet only.
>
> For windows folks, there is a nice, free command-line magic-packet tool
> called wolcmd.exe which you can use in batch files to wake up your
> server:
>
> http://www.depicus.com/wake-on-lan/wake-on-lan-cmd.aspx
>
> Here's the batch file I use to launch a SqueezeCenter Chrome app.  It
> first checks to see if the server responds to a ping and, if it doesn't
> will attempt to WOL it:
>
> scwakeup.cmd:

Code:
--------------------

--------------------

> To use this, fix up the values for the SCIP, BDCSTIP and SCMAC
> variables with your particulars.  I keep a shortcut to this batch file
> on my windows quick-launch tool bar.  That way, I never have to
> compensate for the server being asleep.  Any attempt to visit the
> SqueezeCenter web interface via this batchfile will wake the server,
> if necessary.  The sleep.exe utility referenced in the batch file is a
> free utility included in the Windows 2003 server RTK...which is a free
> download from Microsoft.

Thanks, yes i realise the SB3 is not a clock and has no RTC like the
boom, that was a badly worded example. What i mean is it will wake the
server when it tries to contact the server for -anything-. If i switch
the SB3 to SN, then probably not. I would still have to set all my
players to SN at the same time, but even then other devices on my
network can cause it to wake if i set "Only allow management stations to
wake this computer", such as my laptop (as soon as i turn it on scanning
for network drives etc will wake it). Basically any packet whatsoever
destined for my server IP will. So it's not really an option for me.

Anyway, sorry for going OT...

--
autopilot

Cheers, auto.

*lounge:* squeezebox 3, squeezebox controller, cambridge audio 640a,
mission 701's *kitchen:* squeezebox, trends ta-10.1, kef cresta 1's.
*bedroom:* squeezebox boom *bathroom/garden:* squeezebox boom *car:*
ipod classic 80gb