I really jealous on the weather-forecast plugins, which render nicely on
squeezebox boom and alike
(http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=67655).

Just I don't like the way they work on my Controller - information only
shows up in the extras menu - I'd rather like a real screensafer which
shows nice icons when the duet is in the dock.

I thought about doing this myself but there are still some design
decisions to make and I wanted some input of the community before
starting in the wrong direction.

Specs:
- should be a real screensaver for DUET. Based on SqueezeOS will work
with high probability on Touch and Radio as well
- should update data every 15min
- should show current day as a big icon, forecast (3 days) below with 3
small icons
- temperature alongside or below the images

Open questions:
1) where to take weather data from ?
I don't want to parse HTML-sites (like the other plugins), there should
be a proper API and a specified stable result.
Currently I favour 3 APIs:
- Yahoo: (Example:
http://weather.yahooapis.com/forecastrss?p=USNY0176&u=c). This seems to
be based on weather.com
- WeatherBug:
(http://weather.weatherbug.com/Germany/Berlin%20-%20West-weather.html?nav_section=1&zcode=z6286).
Seems to use own database.
- Google Weather API (http://www.google.de/ig/api?weather=berlin) .
Don't know where the data is coming from.

Currently WeatherBug has one big advantage over the other - it provides
real nice icons in different resolution (and transparent background),
this is how different images would look like:
Yahoo: [image: http://l.yimg.com/a/i/us/we/52/28.gif]
WeatherBug: [image:
http://img.weather.weatherbug.com/forecast/icons/localized/120x101/en/trans/cond008.png]
Google: [image: http://www.google.de/ig/images/weather/cloudy.gif]

Any other suggestions ?

--
bluegaspode

One SB-Duet+Receiver. Server running on Linkstation NAS (LS-CHL).
Needing one more device for bedroom and waiting for the radio :)