Hi Chris,

On Tue, Jun 03, 2014 at 10:50:21PM +0300, Chris Wilson wrote:

> So at the moment I am developing this by running pmacctd (not
> nfacctd) on my own laptop to collect and graph my own traffic.
> Thanks for the suggestion of using timestamp_start and _end which I
> didn't know you could aggregate on.
>
> However when I added these to my aggregate line, I found that the
> timestamp_start is in local time (not GMT) and a human-readable date
> format, which is not great for processing in JavaScript, and
> timestamp_end doesn't appear to work properly:
>
> DEBUG ( default/amqp ): publishing [E=pmacct RK=acct DM=0]:
> {"timestamp_start": "2014-06-03 22:42:00.202820", "ip_dst":
> "196.223.145.xxx", "ip_proto": "tcp", "tos": 0, "ip_src":
> "86.30.131.xxx", "bytes": 142, "port_dst": 36363, "packets": 1,
> "port_src": 2201, "timestamp_end": "1970-01-01 03:00:00.0"}
>
> Is this a bug? Would it be easy to fix?

This is not a bug. This is result of the fact a single packet
has a single timestamp (or two coinciding) hence only one of
the two values, timestamp_start, is populated. Try to:

* capture your own traffic with pmacctd attaching to it a
  nfprobe plugin, the NetFlow/IPFIX probe plugin. Set the
  export to localhost.

* on localhost you bind nfacctd that listens for NetFlow/IPFIX
  packets (generated by pmacctd/nfprobe) and writes wherever you
  want to like with the aggregation you like (this time you will
  see both timestamp_start and timestamp_end populated - as a
  result of the flow-aware cache of nfprobe).

This is the slightly more involved solution i was proposing,
which i don't know if you like or not (definitely good for a
proof of concept).

> It might be. Because I'm mainly using pmacctd (not having any
> netflow-capable hardware) I don't know how that would work in
> pmacctd. Would you send every packet? That could be an awful lot of
> traffic, with some flows having a thousand packets per second.

That is why i'm insisting on the point of the flow-aware cache,
agree you don't want to tag with a timestamp every packet and
send it over :)