Hi,

I’m looking at pmacct as an alternative for other BGP peering data
visualisation tools, specifically on a network with Brocade routers.

I have had a look at the sflow information offered by the routers using
Wireshark [1] and have data inside the sflow which I confidently believe is
correct for the origin asn, destination asn, sending peer asn, and next-hop
peer asn.  I therefore think I should be able to get src_as, dst_as,
peer_src_as, and peer_dst_as without having to pull a BGP feed into pmacct and
possibly overwrite the inbound peer_src_as data with an incorrect asn because
of a mistake in my mapping file.

I can see the correct data also in inmon’s sflowtool command as well [2]

I can see in the documentation [3] an option to preserve the asn data and think
I want to take advantage of this option:

[ nfacctd_as_new | sfacctd_as_new | pmacctd_as | uacctd_as ] [GLOBAL]
When 'false', it instructs nfacctd and sfacctd to populate 'src_as', 'dst_as',
'peer_src_as' and 'peer_dst_as' primitives from NetFlow
<http://wiki.pmacct.net/NetFlow> and sFlow datagram respectively

But when I include these lines in my test configuration file..

sfacctd_as_new: false
pmacctd_as: false

.. I can not start pmacctd:

# /usr/local/sbin/pmacctd -f pmacct-test.cfg
WARN: [pmacct-test.cfg] Invalid AS aggregation value 'false'
WARN: [pmacct-test.cfg:3] Invalid value. Ignored.
WARN: [pmacct-test.cfg] Invalid AS aggregation value 'false'
WARN: [pmacct-test.cfg:4] Invalid value. Ignored.
INFO ( default/core ): Reading configuration file
'/home/adavidson/pmacct-test.cfg'.
ERROR ( testprint/print ): AS aggregation selected but NO 'networks_file' or
'pmacctd_as' are specified. Exiting...

For reference, I am at this stage just trying to print the flow records to
debug output:

plugins: print[testprint]
!
aggregate[testprint]: in_iface, out_iface, timestamp_start, timestamp_end,
proto, peer_src_ip, peer_dst_ip, peer_dst_as, peer_src_as, src_as, dst_as

Is this a bug that I have tickled or am I misinterpreting the documentation ?

[1] https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/27316916/sflow/shark.png - dst_as 701,
peer_dst_as 2914
[2] https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/27316916/sflow/tool.png -
[3] http://wiki.pmacct.net/OfficialConfigKeys