Yep this make sense to take profit from continuous queries.
I would try something like this, put all my flows in influxdb in a db with a low retention policy, and get the metric I want to keep from continuous queries in a separate db with higher retention. Ram was not my fear, as you said it was cheap, but more the disk IOs on big queries ?

--
Raphael Mazelier