On Feb 24, 2013, at 12:57 PM, H.Merijn Brand <h.m.br...@xs4all.nl> wrote:

> =head1 TEST
>
> =head2 Return values
>
> =over 4
>
> =item undef
>
> The return value is undefined
>
> =item 0
>
> The return value i numerical 0 (OK).
>
> =item *
>
> Any other value.
>
> =back
>
> =cut
> -->8---
>
> Now it gives me TWO errors and dies:
>
> $ pod2text test.pod
> TEST
>  Return values
>    undef
>        The return value is undefined
>
> test.pod around line 11: Expected text after =item, not a number
>    0   The return value i numerical 0 (OK).
>
> test.pod around line 15: Expected text after =item, not a bullet
>    *   Any other value.

This was due to this change:

https://github.com/theory/pod-simple/commit/5a01eba83824d9f91ecfae302af33fef65a8385c

Note that this is a warning, rather than a fatal error, though of course
Test::Pod considers warnings to be test failures.

In general, I think that this is an improvement, as one should not usually mix
=item formats. I can see that your case is completely legitimate, though. You
can fix it by wrapping those items in C<>s.

But this does raise the question as to whether this change is too much.
Thoughts?

David