Johan Vromans <jvrom...@squirrel.nl> writes:

> Just what we need... more obscure trickery.

> Why not replace "=item *" by something friendly like "=bullet" ?

It's an interesting thought, since one can add new POD commands with
backward compatibility.  I think in retrospect it's clear that the
automatic list type detection from the contents of =item wasn't a great
idea, and we would have been better off with =bullet, =number, and =desc.

> Also quite stupid:

>   =over 4

>   =item 1.

>   First item.

>   =item 1.

>   Another item.

>   =back

I think this used to work and now doesn't work in a kind of weird and
annoying way.  I seem to recall that this was discussed before, but the
current state doesn't make sense to me: either auto-number and warn, or
take what the user entered verbatim, but taking what the user entered
verbatim and then warning is strange.  But I probably haven't thought
through it.

--
Russ Allbery (r...@stanford.edu)             <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>