Since this problem is platform-specific, the best I can manage without access
to the machine is advice.

Web searches imply that Solaris may be broken, the program may have run out of
file descriptors, an OS upgrade may have broken compatibility with an older
build of Perl, or some other issue:

https://community.emc.com/thread/111914
http://dbaspot.com/solaris/242660-high-cpu-utilization-solaris-10-a.html
http://www.mail-archive.com/dovecot@dovecot.org/msg04283.html