On Sat, 2002-04-27 at 13:53, Drew Varner wrote:
> I think in 1.4 the implementation is headless, but I am not sure. I agree as
> well. Maybe I can do byte array to image conversion as example code.

Our target is officially 1.22 for the moment.  Honestly, we really don't
test on 1.22 very often (I don't have it installed), but that's a Cocoon
requirement for the Serializer so I guess thats the only real rationale
for 1.22 support.  (unless we wanted to accommodate people using that
crappy Visual Age for Java who are probably still stuck on that version,
but I sure don't care ;-) they peed in their own bathwater let them swim
in it :-D )

> The reason I think the code needs to be out there is thumbnails can my in
> Windows Metafile format or BMP as I understand it. Therefore, the code would
> insulate the user from the details.

What I'd like to see is 1> an awtless byte[] abstraction that can be
easily used to create an Image  2> an extension library in contrib for
those who want certain less then raw implementations.  3> if you really
want to do a GUI spreadsheet program Rainer you can do it over in
contrib and I won't complain.  Just don't BASE it entirely on HSSF, have
it read/write the gnumeric format natively.  (We don't need *another*
incompatible spreadsheet format ;-) )  I'll even use it to test POI
with.

> Regardless if AWT loads the libraries, the linkage is bad in a server
> environment where the box might not have X. For applications that generate
> images on the fly via Servlets, I have had to install xvfb (X Virtual Frame
> Buffer) to satisfy the program.

Yeah, I just went through that recently.

> I agree that it shouldn't be in Summary Information.

Cool..  So come up with a solution that lets us run nicely on servers
(our #1 target) and yet provide a nice abstraction.  Perhaps what you
might need is a cleanroom image class.  I'd not think it would be too
hard.

-Andy

--
http://www.superlinksoftware.com