Please forgive my inexperience.  I added libgcj to LD_LIBRARY_PATH and
it now will run properly but segfaults.  I'm working on figuring out
exactly where the segfault occurs.  At this point I know it's during
JvCreateJavaVM().

Thanks again.

Avik Sengupta wrote:
> did you try ldd on poi4r.so? or put libgcj in LD_LIBRARY_PATH?
>
> Also, the version of Swig i used was, i believe, 1.3.27. Which is not to say
> other versions wont work... we need to do some more experimentation...
>

> On Thursday 22 Mar 2007 10:08:25 pm Jeff Swensen wrote:
>
>> I'm working on getting the SWIG included version running.  I had to edit
>> the Makefile to set some paths (GCJ_HOME, SWIG) to point to the
>> compatible versions and everything compiles correctly.  The problem is:
>>
>> irb(main):001:0> require 'release/poi4r'
>> LoadError: libgcj.so.7: cannot open shared object file: No such file or
>> directory - /home/jswensen/poi/trunk/src/contrib/poi-ruby/release/poi4r.so
>>         from /home/jswensen/poi/trunk/src/contrib/poi-ruby/release/poi4r.so
>>         from (irb):1
>>
>> I have the path to libgcj.so.7 included in my RUBYLIB variable so I'm at
>> a loss for what the issue is.  Any ideas?
>>
>> Jeff Swensen wrote:
>>
>>> I am attempting to write my own C wrapper for the POI Ruby bindings and
>>> am looking for some guidance.  I compiled poi4r using the swig wrapper
>>> only to result in a segfault which I'm unable to track down.  It also
>>> seems that swig generates a lot of unnecessary bloat while creating the
>>> wrapper, which is why I decided to try to replace it with my own version
>>> (also partly due to some feedback from my boss who seems to dislike swig
>>> quite a bit).
>>>
>>> Are there any resources you could point me to for writing the ruby
>>> interface?  I understand that at the most basic level I need to define
>>> all of the Java classes and public methods, but after that I'm at a
>>> loss.  I've tried googling but I can't find any examples of writing a c
>>> extension to wrap compiled java for ruby.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Jeff

Jeffery S. Swensen
Software Engineer
Merrill Lextranet
Legal Computer Solutions, Inc.
107 Union Wharf
Boston, MA 02109
t. 617-227-4469 x234
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

THE INFORMATION IN THIS MESSAGE IS INTENDED ONLY FOR THE PERSONAL AND
CONFIDENTIAL USE OF THE DESIGNATED RECIPIENTS NAMED ABOVE AND MAY CONTAIN
LEGALLY PRIVILEGED INFORMATION. If the reader of this message is not the
intended recipient or an agent responsible for delivering it to the intended
recipient, you are hereby notified that you have received this document in
error, and that any review, dissemination, distribution or copying of this
message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in
error, please notify us immediately by telephone at 617-227-4469 Ext. 200.
Thank you.