An error like that normally means your file isn't an OLE2 one. Is it possible that your file is in csv format, or xml?

Yes, the Excel 2007 format is based upon XML. The format is called Office OpenXML. The specification was developed by Microsoft for its Microsoft Office 2007 product suite and was standardized by Ecma International as Ecma 376 in December 2006. As far as I know, it's not a ISO-Standard.

Office Open XML format uses a ZIP container for packaging XML and other data files (like OpenDocument). Microsoft has stated that its primary goal was backward compatibility with existing documents and full support of the feature set of Microsoft Office. So the file isn't an OLE2 one and POI can't parse it. You have to use a XML-Parser instead. There is also a Project at sourceforge called openxml4j. It is a Java framework supporting Open Package Convention and Office Open XML File Format (WordProcessingML, SpreadsheetML, PresentationML and shared specs like DrawingML) but unfortunately it is just a Pre-Alpha.

Sorry for my bad english. I'm not a native speaker.

Greeting form Oldenburg (Germany)
Christian