Ancient Jewish religious writings, which comprise the core of much of the
Jewish tradition, portray world history as an endless succession of violent
conflicts between one ethnic group -- the Jews -- and all the other ethnic
groups -- "the nations."  Perhaps this ideological meme, which has persisted
for thousands of years, helps to explain much of the history of antisemitism.
Much of the conflict, which is based on religious myths and superstitions, is
self-generated and self-perpetuating.  The only mystery here is why some people
created this meme in the first place, and why they have clung so ferociously to
it for so long.  Even the minds of quite a few secular Zionists, like David
Ben-Gurion, have been controlled by these myths and symbols.  Some Jews are
trapped in an infinite negative feedback loop.  Many Jews are trying to escape
the loop.

tim_howells_1000 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
TigerBengalis wrote:
  It's next to impossible to even respond to your narrow and silly stereotypes
of Jews in general (when you favorably cite the silly passage "Jews conclude
from what they are taught by their religious leaders..." and of me ("Probably
Tiger is not conscious of this, but he has lived and breathed this culture his
whole life...").
 Here is the passage I cited from John Spritzer:
  Jews conclude from what they are taught by their religious leaders that the
attacks on Jews can only be explained by the notion that gentiles harbor an
irrational hatred of Jews, and that gentile antisemitism is mysterious,
inherent and timeless.
 Why do you object to this statement?  It seems to summarize your own views of
antisemitism very well.  Here is something you posted on a previous thread:
  I actually don't think we understand the "root" causes of anti-Semitism -- I
think humans haven't developed a scientific understanding of the dark depths of
this species soul. Hence, religion's prominence and persistence, as a way to
find explanations to the unexplainable.
 Obviously you do indeed view antisemitism as "mysterious, inherent and
timeless."  I think that Spritzer has displayed deep insight here, and he has
corroborated the insight with many important sources.
 I don't think that you are a religious fundamentalist, so probably you could
quibble with the reference to "religious leaders,"  and I would agree that
strictly speaking this puts it too narrowly.  Obviously this attitude can be,
and is shared by secularists.
 Tim Howells