Pete: thank you for this. Your proposal is a little heavier than
Timothy's solution.

If the HTML structures are *not* required, then no patching of MLton is
required and one can simply use this gist
(https://gist.github.com/mclements/f9308974a3635a4f640283e1cfa02212).
This adds to the Unsafe structure and comments out the HTML structures.

The patch for more recent MLton libraries are small and only require
changing the HTML/html-elements-fn.sml and HTML/html-attrs-fn.sml files
for the non-standard Or-pattern. The revised patch is available from
this gist
(https://gist.github.com/mclements/c5f715ed149cf264f33e12d496cc79e5).

These are specific working solutions - and my first SML code. Please
note that the gists have *not* been extensively tested. I will offer
them to Pete's SML repository if they prove to be useful.

Kindly, Mark.