On 04/12/2018 13:00, Gergely Buday wrote:
Hi,

https://polyml.inf.ed.ac.narkive.com/c53BJE4q/run-out-of-store-interrupting-
threads

says that setting --maxheap with polyml can fix this problem.

Does this memory allocation necessarily mean _physical_ memory allocation or
the operating system can use swap space to have the necessary memory?

I have set maxheap as twice the physical memory size in a CakeML compilation
and I still got this error message (8G/16G).

- Gergely

The --maxheap setting sets the maximum virtual memory that can be used for the heap. There may be other settings, such as the available swap space or "ulimit" settings that mean that the heap can't grow to this size. It's generally a bad idea to allow the heap to grow much above the size of the physical memory because garbage-collection will cause the whole of the heap to be swapped in and out of memory. However, the control is on virtual memory not physical memory.

David