Rob, Phil and everyone else,

I'm in the process of putting together the 5.8 release and as part of that I've pushed an updated pre-built compiler for X64/32 for Linux, Mac OS etc. That means that for that platform only, for the moment, it is no longer necessary to run "make compiler", although it won't hurt. It should no longer produce the assertion fault, so if it does this is a different bug. To be absolutely sure please run "make distclean" before trying "git pull".

The pre-built compilers (in the "imports" directory) are essentially binary blobs although they are encoded as text. Since they are large and any update results in a major change to the text I try to avoid updating them more often than once for each release.

Regards,
David