On Jun 7, 2010, at 12:02 PM, Jeff Johnson wrote:

> Changing the soname or even (gasp!) using ELF symbol versioning
> is quite doable, all the necessary precursor elements have been in place
> for years.

I should point out the deep flaw using ELF symbol versioning ...

POPT tables are compiled into applications, and so versioning is
dictated by the application, not by POPT itself.

And without some deterministic way to tell whether its a POPT 1.x <-> 2.x
table being fed to the POPT API/ABI, well, only a deliberately
"incompatible" POPT 2.0 data structure with some deterministic
version identifier is possible.

But perhaps there's some insanely obscure way to disambigauate
POPT tables that I haven't been able to devise. Have at and
send a patch, I really loathe being out guessed (because I'm out
numbered by zillions of POPT lusers to essentially 1 developer)
since forever.

I have thought long and hard for many years ... "incompatible" POPT 2.0 seems
the easiest (though rocky) path into the future.

73 de Jeff
POPT Library                                           http://rpm5.org
Developer Communication List                       popt-devel@rpm5.org