My personal choice in things I write is to expect the caller to strdup(). But I understand the reentrancy issue here. (though why you'd be using popt in a thread is beyond me at this time.. and it does have a poptContext handle anyway).

But yeah, I guess I'd opt for consistency as well. The thing that surprised me was that while poptGetOptArg() expects the caller to free it, it's still returning a const. I use 'const' not as memory protection (we know it doesn't do that), but as a signifier that the caller doesn't need to worry about freeing the contents. But whatever, I just put a /* popt requires this to be freed */ comment every time I use it.

If this is going to continue to be the behavior, I'd suggest a poptFreeOptArg() call just to highlight the necessity (and deal with type and NULL pointer checks).

If all Get's in popt allocate, that's fine (I actually hadn't noticed that because I wasn't really expecting it). But if there's ever a time when you have a mix, I'd also suggest function names containing "New" (or "Dup" or "Alloc" or something of the sort) to drive home the point that something's being allocated. "Get" to me typically means retrieve, not allocate. But like I said, it's not a huge issue. Just add the poptFreeOptArg() and I think it'll be clear for everyone.