Hi,

On Wed, 01.03.2006 at 00:15:07 +0100, Bernd Ahlers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Toni Mueller [Tue, Feb 28, 2006 at 11:31:53PM +0100] wrote:
> >I'd like to build MySQL 5.0.18 on a 3.8 machine. It doesn't work since
> >there are discrepancies between the assumed and real numbers of shared
> >libs (I have BSDPORTSDIR set appropriately):
> >
> There's no mysql-5.0.x port in 3.8. Mixing -current and
> -stable/-release isn't supported. You'll end up with broken stuff.

yes, that's a mantra well known to me, but sometimes the choices are,
umm, limited (see other post).

> >I don't understand what the change of Makefile (rev. 1.114 -> 1.115)
> >was good for - the log message is too cryptic for me, but this seems
> >to break the build.
> >
> No, it doesn't break the build in -current.

Ok, so this broke the build only on 3.8.

> We had to bump all versions of c++ shared libs in the ports tree,
> because of a change in the base system.
>
> A new framework to control shared libs got introduced in the -current
> ports tree. Therefore your -current mysql doesn't work on
> -stable/-release.

Thanks for the explanation! That helps me understand. FWIW, changing
the '16' in the Makefile back to '15' made the port compile, but I'll
have to see if it also works.

Best,
--Toni++