Wietse Venema put forth on 8/22/2010 11:13 AM:
> Stan Hoeppner:
>> That's not necessarily true.  It depends on the order of his
>> smtpd_*_restrictions and whether he's using delayed evaluation.  If he's
>> using the multiple section restrictions style with delayed eval it's
>> possible he may have an "OK" in a later table that causes the mail to be
>> accepted even after the regexp check returned REJECT.
>
> Stan,
>
> That is incorrect. Coming back to a post that you made a week ago:
>
>     Well at least I'm batting 50% and if this were baseball that
>     would be pretty good right. :)  I wish I'd nailed your bigger
>     issue here, but that's why this list has multiple people with
>     varying degrees of experience and expertise.  If folks like
>     myself miss the dart board, Noel, Viktor, or Wietse will come
>     in and hit the bullseye for you. :)
>
> I suggest that you avoid posting statements that you haven't verified
> first-hand (by experiment, code review, or otherwise).
>
> There is enough incorrect information on the Internet, and and
> there are enough people willing to repeat information without
> validating it first.

My apologies.  When I first ran into this issue many months ago, I was
attempting to whitelist.  IIRC, an "OK" in say smtpd_client_restrictions
could later be overridden by a "REJECT" in say smtpd_helo_restrictions.
 This is why I switched to "everything under
smtpd_recipient_restrictions".  I guess I assumed that it worked the
same both ways.

So if we reverse the scenario and put the "REJECT" first, it's a final
decision?  If so, and if I've described the situation correctly, why do
we have this opposite behavior between whitelisting and blacklisting?
If I've not described this correctly, what am I missing?

--
Stan