anant--- wrote:
> For a domain, we are finding in logs that, for most of the mails,
> mails are getting delivered to a server of remote domain having lower
> priority MX record.  For some mails, the mail is getting delivered to
> higher priority MX record server even though lower prioirity MX recod
> is reachable (we assume).  How do I debug to prove that, at that point
> of delivery, lower priority MX record server is not reachable or
> unable to deliver to lower priority MX record server?

I read that and it is ambiguous to me if you are looking at the
sending side wanting to know why your server is sending to the lower
priority MX relay /OR/ if you are looking at the server side wanting
to know why you are receiving mail on the lower priority mx relay.
This is an important difference in the question and therefore in the

In either case as long as multiple MX relays are configured then mail
will be sent to both and both must be fully configured to receive mail
for the domain.  This includes configuring relay_domains and
relay_recipient_maps correctly.

There is very little reason to configure multiple MX relays in the
present age and state of Internet connectivity.  If having multiple MX
relays causes problems or confusion then reducing to exactly one where
everything is simplified should be sufficient for all but the largest
of email handling sites.

Spammers often target lower priority MX relays with the expectation
that they will be misconfigured.

Bob