Hi,

Heiko Tietze wrote on 2017-08-11 at 19:45:
Could the missing desktop app become a showstopper?

that reminds me of one question I didn't answer yet: Why Telegram. ;-)

Indeed, the possibility to use it on mobile, in browser and as dedicated desktop application was one of the main reasons, beyond the fact that it's been used by many people. There are several truly free and open solutions out there, but sadly, very few users use them - and that's in line with what I wrote earlier on about "getting people where they are".

I tried some mobile IRC clients a while ago and was not really convinced: no push notification, high battery usage - IRC simply is a different tool than a messenger...

I'm not at all against hosting our own web IRC frontend, preferably localized - I just think it won't get us the mobile crowd...

Florian