-----Original Message-----
From: owner-pth-us...@gnu.org [mailto:owner-pth-us...@gnu.org] On Behalf
Of Yang Zhang
Sent: Thursday, January 15, 2009 10:28 AM
To: pth-users@gnu.org
Subject: Re: GNU Pth compatibility

Steve Alstrin wrote:
> - OS threads (pthreads)
> If your using pth you wont be using native threads.

Actually, this is pretty important to me.  I'm working on a program
containing one or two OS threads handling network IO (each thread
managing a set of user threads), along with some number of other OS
threads that serve as compute threads which need to communicate with the
network threads.  Yes, it's possible to use processes and IPC, but the
performance suffers as a result.

Not for sure what you mean by all this. Are you saying that you will be
linking to modules that use the native threads? If you are using the
posix compliant portion of pth to use the pthread_* calls, then you will
have link problems using both native threads and pth pthreads.

> - valgrind
> Not for sure about this one, but tools like Insure++ don't work well
> with these, if you need to use a memory checker, recompile with native

> for that test.

Do you understand why exactly these memory checkers trip up on Pth?

I would say its because they are messing around with the instruction
pointer, which is what pth is doing also. The way that pth works is
anytime an blocking call is used( i.e. any blocking i/o or sleep...
Etc.) it switches to the next threads malloced stack space and modifies
the instrution pointer to point to the next instruction for that thread.
--
Yang Zhang
http://www.mit.edu/~y_z/