Bob Wyatt wrote:

Need to rephrase my request… I didn’t write it well…

On an IBM p5 570 system running AIX 5.3, Technology (Maintenance) Level 03, Pth 2.0.7 won’t install.

It is a requisite of GnuPG 2.0.12, which is what I am trying to get to work…

The ./configure and make seemed to proceed without any fatal errors…

The make check and make install fail as follows:

pth.h:93:2: #error "FD_SETSIZE is larger than what GNU Pth can handle."

make: *** [test_std.o] Error 1

Any ideas?

Bob,

No doubt you've already read this:

*FD_SETSIZE* is the #define variable that defines how many file descriptors the various FD macros will use. The default value for *FD_SETSIZE* will vary, depending on the version of AIX. As the number of open files supported has increased, the default value of *FD_SETSIZE* has increased.

In AIX 4.3.1, the size increased to 32767 open file descriptors (from 2000 in prior releases). In AIX 5.2, the size increased to 65534 open file descriptors. This value can not be set greater than *OPEN_MAX*, which also varies from one AIX Version to another.

For more information, refer to the */usr/include/sys/time.h* file.

The user may override *FD_SETSIZE* to select a smaller value before including the system header files. This is desirable for performance reasons, because of the overhead in *FD_ZERO* to zero 65534 bits.

(http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/systems/index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.aix.basetechref/doc/basetrf2/select.htm)

Sounds like you'll need to decrease the number of open file descriptors before running the make.

I'd recommend setting a smaller ulimit -f (check that for AIX) in your personal profile that is much smaller than the system ulimit for file descriptors, then running the make config and make as yourself. More info here:

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v6r1m0/index.jsp?topic=/rzahz/rzahzulimit.htm

Hope this helps

Ken