Ken,

Thank you very much for the below info...

I've tried setting ulimit -n 1023 in the .profile, running the ./configure
again, followed by the make check. The problem persists.

Any other ideas (Ken or anyone?)?

What I did was:

$ ulimit -n
1023
$ pwd
/usr/local/pth-2.0.7
$ ./configure
Configuring GNU Pth (Portable Threads), Version 2.0.7 (08-Jun-2006)
Copyright (c) 1999-2006 Ralf S. Engelschall <r...@engelschall.com>
Platform: powerpc-ibm-aix5.3.0.0

Build Tools:
checking for gcc... gcc
checking for suffix of executables...
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking for egrep... grep -E
checking for compiler option -pipe... yes
checking for compilation debug mode... disabled
checking for compilation profile mode... disabled
checking for compilation optimization mode... disabled
checking build system type... powerpc-ibm-aix5.3.0.0
checking host system type... powerpc-ibm-aix5.3.0.0
checking for a sed that does not truncate output... /usr/bin/sed
checking for ld used by gcc... /usr/bin/ld
checking if the linker (/usr/bin/ld) is GNU ld... no
checking for /usr/bin/ld option to reload object files... -r
checking for BSD-compatible nm... /usr/bin/nm -B
checking whether ln -s works... yes
checking how to recognise dependent libraries... pass_all
checking for ANSI C header files... yes
checking for sys/types.h... yes
checking for sys/stat.h... yes
checking for stdlib.h... yes
checking for string.h... yes
checking for memory.h... yes
checking for strings.h... yes
checking for inttypes.h... yes
checking for stdint.h... yes
checking for unistd.h... yes
checking dlfcn.h usability... yes
checking dlfcn.h presence... yes
checking for dlfcn.h... yes
checking for g++... g++
checking whether g++ accepts -g... yes
checking how to run the C++ preprocessor... g++ -E
checking for g77... g77
checking whether we are using the GNU Fortran 77 compiler... yes
checking whether g77 accepts -g... yes
checking the maximum length of command line arguments... 8192
checking command to parse /usr/bin/nm -B output from gcc object... ok
checking for objdir... .libs
checking for ar... ar
checking for ranlib... ranlib
checking for strip... strip
checking if gcc supports -fno-rtti -fno-exceptions... no
checking for gcc option to produce PIC...
checking if gcc static flag -static works... yes
checking if gcc supports -c -o file.o... yes
checking whether the gcc linker (/usr/bin/ld) supports shared libraries...
yes
checking dynamic linker characteristics... aix5.3.0.0 ld.so
checking whether stripping libraries is possible... no
checking whether to build static libraries... no
configure: creating libtool
appending configuration tag "CXX" to libtool
checking for ld used by g++... /usr/bin/ld
checking if the linker (/usr/bin/ld) is GNU ld... no
checking whether the g++ linker (/usr/bin/ld) supports shared libraries...
yes
checking for g++ option to produce PIC...
checking if g++ static flag -static works... yes
checking if g++ supports -c -o file.o... yes
checking whether the g++ linker (/usr/bin/ld) supports shared libraries...
yes
checking dynamic linker characteristics... aix5.3.0.0 ld.so
appending configuration tag "F77" to libtool
checking whether to build static libraries... no
checking for g77 option to produce PIC...
checking if g77 static flag -static works... yes
checking if g77 supports -c -o file.o... yes
checking whether the g77 linker (/usr/bin/ld) supports shared libraries...
yes
checking dynamic linker characteristics... aix5.3.0.0 ld.so

Mandatory Platform Environment:
checking for ANSI C header files... (cached) yes
checking stdio.h usability... yes
checking stdio.h presence... yes
checking for stdio.h... yes
checking for stdlib.h... (cached) yes
checking stdarg.h usability... yes
checking stdarg.h presence... yes
checking for stdarg.h... yes
checking for string.h... (cached) yes
checking signal.h usability... yes
checking signal.h presence... yes
checking for signal.h... yes
checking for unistd.h... (cached) yes
checking setjmp.h usability... yes
checking setjmp.h presence... yes
checking for setjmp.h... yes
checking fcntl.h usability... yes
checking fcntl.h presence... yes
checking for fcntl.h... yes
checking errno.h usability... yes
checking errno.h presence... yes
checking for errno.h... yes
checking for sys/types.h... (cached) yes
checking sys/time.h usability... yes
checking sys/time.h presence... yes
checking for sys/time.h... yes
checking sys/wait.h usability... yes
checking sys/wait.h presence... yes
checking for sys/wait.h... yes
checking for sys/stat.h... (cached) yes
checking sys/socket.h usability... yes
checking sys/socket.h presence... yes
checking for sys/socket.h... yes
checking for gettimeofday... yes
checking for select... yes
checking for sigaction... yes
checking for sigprocmask... yes
checking for sigpending... yes
checking for sigsuspend... yes
decision on mandatory system headers and functions... all fine

Optional Platform Environment:
checking for number of signals... 64
checking for default value of FD_SETSIZE... 1024
checking for poll... yes
checking for define POLLIN in poll.h... yes
checking whether poll(2) facility has to be faked... no
checking sys/uio.h usability... yes
checking sys/uio.h presence... yes
checking for sys/uio.h... yes
checking for readv... yes
checking for writev... yes
checking whether readv(2)/writev(2) facility has to be faked... no
checking for usleep... yes
checking for strerror... yes
checking sys/resource.h usability... yes
checking sys/resource.h presence... yes
checking for sys/resource.h... yes
checking net/errno.h usability... no
checking net/errno.h presence... no
checking for net/errno.h... no
checking paths.h usability... yes
checking paths.h presence... yes
checking for paths.h... yes
checking for gethostname in -lnsl... yes
checking for accept in -lsocket... no
checking sys/select.h usability... yes
checking sys/select.h presence... yes
checking for sys/select.h... yes
checking for typedef sig_atomic_t... yes
checking for typedef pid_t... yes
checking for typedef size_t... yes
checking for typedef ssize_t... yes
checking for typedef off_t... yes
checking for typedef stack_t... yes
checking for attribute ss_base in struct sigaltstack from sys/signal.h... no
checking for attribute ss_sp in struct sigaltstack from sys/signal.h... no
checking for a single-argument based gettimeofday... no
checking for struct timespec... yes
checking for typedef socklen_t... yes
checking for type of argument 3 for accept()...
checking for fallback socklen_t... socklen_t
checking for typedef nfds_t... yes
checking for type of argument 2 for poll()... ulong_t
checking for fallback nfds_t... nfds_t
checking for built-in type long long... yes
checking for built-in type long double... yes

Machine Context Implementation:
checking for ucontext.h... yes
checking for makecontext... yes
checking for swapcontext... yes
checking for getcontext... yes
checking for setcontext... yes
checking for usable SVR4/SUSv2 makecontext(2)/swapcontext(2)... yes
checking for signal.h... (cached) yes
checking for sigsetjmp... yes
checking for siglongjmp... yes
checking for setjmp... yes
checking for longjmp... yes
checking for _setjmp... yes
checking for _longjmp... yes
checking for sigaltstack... yes
checking for sigstack... yes
checking for signal-mask aware setjmp(3)/longjmp(3)... yes: ssjlj
checking for typedef stack_t... (cached) yes
checking for direction of stack growth... down
checking for makecontext... (cached) yes
checking for stack setup via makecontext... ok
checking for sigaltstack... (cached) yes
checking for typedef stack_t... (cached) yes
checking for stack setup via sigaltstack... ok
checking for sigstack... (cached) yes
checking for stack setup via sigstack... ok
decision on mctx implementation... mcsc/sc/mc

System Call Mapping:
checking sys/syscall.h usability... no
checking sys/syscall.h presence... no
checking for sys/syscall.h... no
checking sys/socketcall.h usability... no
checking sys/socketcall.h presence... no
checking for sys/socketcall.h... no
checking for syscall... no
checking for define SYS_read in sys/syscall.h... no
checking for dlfcn.h... (cached) yes
checking for dlsym in -ldl... yes
checking for dlopen... yes
checking for dlsym... yes
checking for dlclose... yes
checking for define RTLD_NEXT in dlfcn.h... yes
checking for syscall dynamic libraries...
checking whether soft system call mapping is used... no
checking whether hard system call mapping is used... no

Build Parameters:
checking whether to activate batch build mode... no
checking whether to activate maintainer build targets... no
checking whether to activate test build targets... yes
checking whether to build Pthread library... no
checking whether to build against external OSSP ex library... no
checking whether to build against external Sfio library... no
checking whether to build against external Dmalloc library... no

Output Substitution:
configure: creating ./config.status
config.status: creating Makefile
config.status: creating pthread-config
config.status: creating pthread.h
config.status: creating pth-config
config.status: creating pth.h
config.status: creating pth_acmac.h
config.status: creating pth_acdef.h
config.status: pth_acdef.h is unchanged
config.status: executing default commands

Now please type `make' to compile. Good luck.

$ make check
gcc -c -I. -O2 -pipe test_std.c
In file included from test_std.c:36:
pth.h:93:2: #error "FD_SETSIZE is larger than what GNU Pth can handle."
make: *** [test_std.o] Error 1
$ ulimit -a
time(seconds)        unlimited
file(blocks)         unlimited