Wolfgang Reimer posted a response, which bounced because the
address he posted from is not a member of the mailing list.

Wolfgang wrote:

> RedHat Linux 8.0 comes with gcc 3.2 which requires some more changes
> (patches) than required for RedHat Linux 7.x (which comes with gcc 2.96
> or 3.0.x, respectively).
>
> I already created some additional RH8.0 patches for my private usage and
> I could compile Ptolemy 0.7.1p1 successfully. As far as time allowed me
> I also tested the binaries and they seem to work fine. However, I cannot
> guaranty that everything is working.
>
> If you are interested I could send you the complete bunch of patches
> relative to the original 0.7.1p1 sources.
>

> Regards,
>
> Wolfgang.
>
> w azure wrote:
> >
> > hi evertyone
> >   i failed to install the ptolemy0.7.1 from scratch source in the redhat
> > linux 8.0 for i386. during making the source,there are a few
> > errors.there are anyone who has succeeded to install the ptolemy0.7.1
> > for redhat linux 8.0-i386.if you will help me ,i will post my
> > information of install errors.3x
> >

> > Posted to the ptolemy-hackers mailing list.  Please send administrative
> > mail for this list to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >

> --
> Wolfgang Reimer (Dr.-Ing.)         Senior Software Developer
>
> V P I    S y s t e m s    I n g e n i e u r g e s .    m b H
> phone : +49 30 398058-24           fax :    +49 30 398058-58
> mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]           http://www.VPIsystems.com

Right, Ptolemy 0.7.x uses gcc-2.95.  My guess is that RedHat 8.0
uses a more recent version of the GNU compiler.

Ptolemy 0.7.2devel is available from me by request, but I suggest
going with Wolfgang's patches instead, since he is patches are more
likely to work with Linux.  Ptolemy 0.7.2-devel works with gcc-2.95.3,
but will not compile with gcc-3.x

BTW - next time, please post some of the errors you are seeing, it
helps us determine what the problem is.

-Christopher

Christopher Hylands    [EMAIL PROTECTED]  University of California
Programmer/Analyst Chess/Ptolemy/GSRC         US Mail: 558 Cory Hall #1770
ph: (510)643-9841 fax:(510)642-2739           Berkeley, CA 94720-1770
home: (510)526-4010, (707)665-0131            (office: 400A Cory)