I'd heard of this bug, but until now had never been able to reproduce
it.

Steve Neuendorffer noticed a similar problem, he wrote:

> I just noticed that the shortcut to the original version of hyvisual
> failed to start beta-3.  I got an error like "-hyvisual failed to
> find configuration"...
>
> It seems like the new version of the Jar overwrote the old version
> of the Jar, but didn't fix up the shortcut?  Is there a way to
>
> 1) prevent destroying the old version if the new version will break
> the shortcut or
>
> 2) automatically fix the shortcut to use the new version?

I initially thought the problem was caused by upgrading from
HyVisual 2.2-beta-2 to 2.2-beta-3

Because I was never able to reproduce the bug, there was not much I
could do locally.

This morning, I was finally able to reproduce the bug.  I'm not sure
what changed.

I'm not sure what the cause is.  What is happening is that the
MoMLApplication.specToURL() method in HyVisual is failing to find its
configuration in ptolemy/configs/hyvisual/configuration.xml, so it is
falling back to looking for ptolemy/configs/full/configuration.xml and
failing there as well.

The way that MoMLApplication.specToURL() works is that it takes
a string like "ptolemy/configuration/hyvisual/configuration.xml"
and tries various ways to look for it and eventually returns a URL.

In HyVisual, we use the ClassLoader.getResource() method to look up
the resource in the classpath with code like:

                    specURL = Thread.currentThread()
                        .getContextClassLoader().getResource(spec);

It looked to me like the above code was failing to find the resource
for some reason, even though I could see that the resource was in the
appropriate jar file on the website.

I checked in a new ptsupport.jar file that seems to work.
Unfortunately, I'm not sure why.  The only change was me adding
some debugging statements to MoMLApplication.specToURL().
Perhaps there was some sort of corruption in the ptsupport.jar file,
but diffing the two files does not indicate any problem.

One potential cause could be that our code signing certificate was
updated recently, but I would think the error would manifest itself in
a different fashion if there were certificate problems.

To get the new version, you may need to access the JNLP file
on the website twice.  This is because of a peculiarity in Web Start
where the first time it notices that there is a new jar file and the
second time it actually gets the jar file.

The JNLP file is at
http://ptolemy.eecs.berkeley.edu/ptolemyII/hyvisual2.2/jnlp/vergilHyVisual.jnlp
As always with Web Start, if you run in to problems, it is worth
starting up the Web Start console app and clearing the cache.
Under Windows, the Web Start console app can be found at
Start -> All Programs -> Java Web Start

Another thing to try is to kill any running Java processes.  I've seen
situations where a Hyvisual java process running in the background
will prevent the jar file from being updated.

-Christopher

Christopher Hylands    [EMAIL PROTECTED]  University of California
Programmer/Analyst Chess/Ptolemy/GSRC         US Mail: 558 Cory Hall #1770
ph: (510)643-9841 fax:(510)642-2739           Berkeley, CA 94720-1770
home: (510)526-4010, (707)665-0131            (office: 400A Cory)

--------

    I'm looking forward to using it.  I have recurring problems with
    starting the webstart version, and get the error message/stack trace
    below.   Has anyone else encountered this?

    Regards,
    Scott

    java.io.IOException: File not found:
    ptolemy/configs/full/configuration.xml
        at ptolemy.actor.gui.MoMLApplication.specToURL
    (MoMLApplication.java:294)
        at ptolemy.vergil.VergilApplication._createDefaultConfiguration
    (VergilApplication.java:238)
        at ptolemy.actor.gui.MoMLApplication._parseArgs
    (MoMLApplication.java:474)
        at ptolemy.vergil.VergilApplication._parseArgs
    (VergilApplication.java:367)
        at ptolemy.actor.gui.MoMLApplication.<init>
    (MoMLApplication.java:143)
        at ptolemy.vergil.VergilApplication.<init>
    (VergilApplication.java:110)
        at ptolemy.vergil.VergilApplication$1.run
    (VergilApplication.java:132)
        at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch
    (InvocationEvent.java:178)
        at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForHierarchy
    (EventDispatchThread.java:197)
        at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy
    (EventDispatchThread.java:150)
        at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents
    (EventDispatchThread.java:144)
        at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents
    (EventDispatchThread.java:136)
        at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:99)

    In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
    [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...

--------