In comp.soft-sys.ptolemy, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kaizen) writes:

> This is for an academic project so the complexity of the simulator
> will not reach that of something commercial like Optiwave or VPI.

VPI and Ptolemy Classic have a connection,
http://ptolemy.eecs.berkeley.edu/conferences/99/opticalsystems.pdf
Says
"VPI products comprise:
 *Photonic Transmission Design Suite (PTDS) based on Ptolemy 0.7 . . . "

> The components that I am simulating include the transmitter, the fiber
> and the receiver.
>
> In the transmitter which I am working on now, there is a PRBS that
> goes thru a NRZ and that signal is modulated with that of a DFB laser.

I don't know much about optical systems, so the above are just
TLAs to me :-)

> What kind of domain should I be simulating this in,

Hard to say.  Usually network simulators use a timed domain, such as
DE.  However, it can be tricky to create large efficient DE models -
it is hard to get the level of abstraction right.

Someone else might have a suggestion

> I am currently
> doing it in SDF, but so far the entire simulation just slows down a
> lot when I leave it running for a while.

1. Make sure you are not using the Display actor, it eats up memory.
2. Try monitoring your memory usage.  Is the java process consuming
lots of memory?
3. There are some notes at $PTII/doc/coding/performance.htm, which
is at
http://ptolemy.eecs.berkeley.edu/ptolemyII/ptII4.0/ptII4.0-beta/doc/coding/performance.htm
( I see that the file has a .html bug which I will fix shortly)
4. Using a commercial tool like JProbe can help.  They have a free trial.

-Christopher