At 12:20 PM 6/8/2004 -0400, Steve Rowe wrote:
Hi, hackers.

We are using Ptolemy to do sytem-integration level simulation and testing for "smart" vehicles. Our main areas of interest are monitoring bandwidth of network connections and CPU utilization (although we are also modeling a number of other things).

Is there a built-in actor that checks for resource (over-) allocation? I have thought about just using a summation of bandwidth, where the components in the system output an amount of bandwidth required at a given time and then a network simulation component sums these requirements and makes sure that the sum doesn't exceed the available. Is there a better way?

Thanks for any advice you can give.

-Steve
--

----------
<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>Steve Rowe

As part of the Chess Center effort at Berkeley, Prof. Tom Henzinger and his group developed a concept of "resource interfaces," which are formal interface definitions with corresponding checkers that model dynamically changing resource requirements. See:

A. Chakrabarti, L. d. Alfaro and T. A. Henzinger, "Resource Interfaces,"
In Proceedings of EMSOFT, Philadelphia, PA, LNCS 2855, Springer,
October 13-15, 2003, 2003.

We have done some preliminary experimentation with integrating
this into Ptolemy II... We created a Chic attribute that uses
the Chic verification tool to check interface compatibility.
However, this is far from ready for prime time.

Another approach was realized a few years ago in Prof. Alberto
Sangiovanni-Vincentelli's group under the name Polis. They built
this on Ptolemy Classic, using the DE domain, and built an
actor library that modeled resource usage. This became the centerpiece
of a (not very successful) product from Cadence called VCC.
But there might be ideas worth looking at there.

Hope this is helpful...

Edward