Nicolas,

On Mon, Sep 03, 2007 at 05:23:40PM +0200, Nicolas TOUCHARD wrote:
> I use ptxdist + oselas BSP for the Phytec PXA270.
>
> I need to have a real time SSP interrupt in 16 bit spi mode.
> Sometimes, my SPI handler is delayed of 25µs to 170µs. It seen that is
> the delay  PXA Timer tick that can be itnerrupted (SA_INTERRUPT option
> on the timer 0 handler).
>
> I suppose that that is due to the fact the kernel is only compile in
> PREMPT and is not a true real time kernel , but 170µs seem to be very
> long time for the timer interrupt ...
> My kernel is is a Linux phyCORE-PXA270 2.6.17-pcm027-3 #3 PREEMPT
>
> Is-it normal that the irq PXA Timer tick can take up to 170µs?
>
> Can you advise me to patch the ptxdist / oselas PXA270 kernel to have
> real time interrupt ?

On a normal system (non-rt), things can take as long as they like. 170
us is something which can happen. Even with rt, don't expect ARM cpus
too have a too good realtime performance.

We are currently preparing the next revision of the OSELAS.BSP für the
phyCORE-PXA270, with rt-preempt, which will be based on 2.6.23-rt.
Please tell me if you can't wait for that release (in that case we'd
have to find another agreement).

Regards,
Robert
Entwicklungszentrum Nord     http://www.pengutronix.de