Wolfram Sang wrote:
> Hello Gary,
>
>> Assume that I have a totally local kernel tree - how can I use
>> this?  Also assume that I don't [necessarily] need/want ptxdist
>> to bother building my kernel.
>>
>> How can I configure things to work in this way?
>
> The current state of local kernel trees looks like this:
> Assuming we want to use a tree in /home/wsa/kernel/worktrees/fancyboard
>
> First call:
>
> ptxdist setup -> Source directories -> Prefix for kernel trees
> (/home/wsa/kernel/worktrees/)
>
> then:
>
> ptxdist platformconfig -> Linux kernel
>
> -> Kernel version (enter here the dirname of the tree you want to use,
>   here 'fancyboard')
> -> Local kernel tree (activate it)
>
> Your build-target-directory will then contain a symlink named
> "linux-fancyboard" pointing to the local tree.
>
> Is this what you had in mind?

Close, but I'm still fuzzy on a couple of details.

* Why not just specify the whole kernel source path, rather than
the [obscure in my mind] prefix + version.  I have kernel source
trees all over the place and having to rerun 'setup' to build
seems problematic.

* How do I specify a particular kernel configuration?  Currently,
I will build my kernel like this:
  % mkdir /work/new_kernel
  % make -C /work/kernel_source O=/work/new_kernel platform_defconfig
  % make O=/work/new_kernel oldconfig
  % make O=/work/new_kernel zImage

Thanks for helping with this.