Hey all,

On Sat, 2017-09-09 at 17:54 +0200, Enrico Weigelt, metux IT consult
wrote:

> On 09.09.2017 15:03, Erwin Rol wrote:
> > but I was wondering if there are > ppl that made usecase comparisons
> > between ptxdist and Yocto? My personal
>
> I'm currently in process of bringing up a board, where the vendor
> only supplied an image built via yocto (based on an phycore-imx6,
> so they just phycore's repos).

Exactly my problem, Yocto is becoming the Ubuntu of embedded Linux, and
like Ubuntu not everything is good about it. But vendors like Intel,
Xilinx, TI, etc. don't even know ptxdist exists, they all only offer
some Yocto layers.

> Finding out what kernel and bbx trees it uses, and the exact configs,
> and how to images are built, turned out to be quite time consuming.

Yeah the learning curve is steep, but that should not be a show stopper.

> And the whole bitbake machinery is really slow.

Over all I don't think bitbake is much slower than ptxdist, when
building from 0 to 100%.

But when you want to do edit->compile->update iterations the "startup"
time for bitbake seems to be a killer. With ptxdist I just call
"./ptxdist compile bla" and I have no noticeable delay compared to
native compiling. That is something I extensively use with ptxdist, and
for Yocto that doesn't work (at least I don't know how) :-/

- Erwin