<Hugh rubs grey beard />

Ah, ’twas always thus, in every field I know.
To put it bluntly, that is because much research is about getting papers
published, not about moving the field on.

<Old man’s meanderings - best avoided>
Functional programming (I used to be functional):

David Turner (he with a brain the size of a planet) said that his application
of combinators to functional language implementation had “cost 10 years of
wasted PhD students”.
This was because they had all striven to improve in tiny ways on the original
implementation.
Of course most failed, as it had sprung perfectly-formed from his brain, and
more importantly been perfectly-engineered by him into the system†.
But even when they succeeded, the increment didn't amount to a hill of beans.

And again, watching paper after paper purporting to improve some theoretical
upper-bound on execution of some variant of the λ-calculus, which in fact could
never be reached without immense execution overheads, was pretty depressing, in
terms of wasted research time.

Of course, small increments are not always useless. In Operational Research
they are bread and butter. But that is because it is a mature field with clear
applications, and if you can improve a Search/Optimisation technique by a
fraction of a percent, you might save millions on the billions cost of
something.

In the first decades of a field, it is highly unlikely that incremental change
will be significant in the long run, not least because entirely new methods and
techniques will be discovered, making the base ones redundant, and rendering
the increment moot.

†One of my favourite comments was in the garbage collector of David's C
implementation of his SK-reduction machine: "Now follow everything on the C
stack that looks like a pointer". :-)