On 1/11/10 1:24 AM, Sean Hogan wrote:
That's correct. jQuery's $(element).find("div") is the equivalent of
SelectorsAPI2's element.querySelectorAll(":scope div") or

So in fact jquery can simply implement Element.find in terms of querySelectorAll by just prepending ":scope " to the selector string, right? Note that this happens to work even for the "> div" case (by converting the selector to ":scope > div", which is what jquery means).

So the "> div" thing doesn't seem to require preparsing (modulo commas in the selector; was that the key point?). Of course the jquery selectors that aren't in CSS do (or possibly post-parsing depending on how it's implemented).

My point is that jQuery's $(element).find("> div") isn't supported
(without pre-processing by the JS lib) by element.queryScopedSelectorAll().

element.queryScopedSelectorAll(":scope > div") generally becomes
element.parentNode.querySelectorAll(":scope > div", element) which is
the same as
element.querySelectorAll(":scope > div", element) or even
element.querySelectorAll(":scope > div")

That's what I'm confused about. Does implementing element.find("> div") as element.queryScopedSelectorAll(":scope > div") not do what the current jquery code does? If not, how do they differ?

I'm still confused about queryScopedSelectorAll, though. It sounds from your example like queryScopedSelectorAll just prepends ":scope " to the whole query string and then calls querySelectorAll on the parentNode of the scope node, with the scope node passed in as the optional argument. So:

  element.queryScopedSelectorAll(myStr)

is the same as:

  element.parentNode.querySelectorAll(":scope " + myStr, element);

is that correct?

-Boris