Hi Tim,
you are missing a closing }

class baseapps {
$packagelist = [ "nmap","php-common","php-cli","perl","keychain","screen" ]

package { $packagelist:
ensure => installed
}

class sshd {
case $operatingsystem {
centos: { $ssh_packages = [ "openssh","openssh-server","openssh-clients" ] }
default: { $ssh_packages = [ "openssh", "openssh-server" ] }
}

package { $ssh_packages: ensure => installed }

service { sshd:
name => $operatingsystem ? {
centos => "sshd",
default => "sshd",