On Feb 9, 2011, at 12:28 PM, Tim Dunphy wrote:

> Hello puppet list!!
>

> I keep getting the same error and I can't for the life of me see
> where this problem is...
>

> [root@VIRTCENT03:~] #puppetd --test
> err: Could not retrieve catalog from remote server: Error 400 on
> SERVER: Could not parse for environment production: Syntax error at
> 'enable'; expected '}' at /etc/puppet/manifests/classes/baseapps.pp:23
> warning: Not using cache on failed catalog
> err: Could not retrieve catalog; skipping run

Well, the problem seems to be in the service line so you can cut your manifest
down to this and try it without the master after replacing the variable:

test.pp:
include testClass
class testClass
{
        #Pretends we have factor
        $operatingsystem = "centos"
        service { sshd:
                name => $operatingsystem ? {
                        centos => "sshd",
                        default => "sshd",
                }
                enable => true,
                ensure => running

Then run it again and see if you get the same error without the master.

puppet --verbose test.pp

> Could not parse for environment production: Syntax error at 'enable';
> expected '}' at /removed_path/test2.pp:10 on node localhost

Yep.  Still have the error.  Now you can test it much easier.

Now, in this case, your problem is because you missed a comma after closing the
operating system selector.  Still, if you can shrink your manifest and remove
the puppetmaster, it will help us in the future.