On Jun 1, 2011, at 8:05 AM, John Kennedy wrote:

> I have several servers being hosted on Amazon Web Services. They have all
> been build from the same manifest so apart from the hostnames, IP, etc they
> are all identical.
>
> All but 3 of the boxes can connect to the puppetmaster. When kicked from the
> puppetmaster two give:
> Host host.example.com failed: Connection refused - connect(2)
>
> one gives:
>
> Host host.example.com failed: SSL_connect returned=1 errno=0 state=SSLv3 read
> server certificate B: certificate verify failed
>
> All then give an exit code of 2
>
> I have deleted /etc/puppet/ssl on the node and revoked the certs on the
> puppet master (puppetca -c host.example.com) with the same results on all 3
> boxes.
>
> I know it is not my laptop's fault but I am about to throw it out the
> window...
>
> Please save the poor thing and give me a hint as to what else I can do...
>
> Thanks,

What version of puppet is running on the clients?  What version on the server?

Did you forget "listen=true" on the ones that say "connection refused"?

Is "host.example.com" the master or the client you're kicking?

On the client and the server, try this command:
md5sum /var/lib/puppet/ssl/ca/ca_crt.pem

On the server try this command:
md5sum /var/lib/puppet/ssl/certs/ca.pem

Do all 3 certs match?