On Jun 2, 2011, at 9:32 AM, John Kennedy wrote:

> Replies inline
>
> On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 17:55, Patrick <kc7...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Jun 1, 2011, at 8:05 AM, John Kennedy wrote:
>
>> I have several servers being hosted on Amazon Web Services. They have all
>> been build from the same manifest so apart from the hostnames, IP, etc they
>> are all identical.
>>
>> All but 3 of the boxes can connect to the puppetmaster. When kicked from the
>> puppetmaster two give:
>> Host host.example.com failed: Connection refused - connect(2)
>>
>> one gives:
>>
>> Host host.example.com failed: SSL_connect returned=1 errno=0 state=SSLv3
>> read server certificate B: certificate verify failed
>>
>> All then give an exit code of 2
>>
>> I have deleted /etc/puppet/ssl on the node and revoked the certs on the
>> puppet master (puppetca -c host.example.com) with the same results on all 3
>> boxes.
>>
>> I know it is not my laptop's fault but I am about to throw it out the
>> window...
>>
>> Please save the poor thing and give me a hint as to what else I can do...
>>
>> Thanks,
>
> What version of puppet is running on the clients?  What version on the server?
>
> Client is 2.6.7
> Server is 2.6.4
>

> Did you forget "listen=true" on the ones that say "connection refused"?
>
> No They are all the same...
>

> Is "host.example.com" the master or the client you're kicking?
>
> host.example.com is the client I am trying to kick
>

> On the client and the server, try this command:
> md5sum /var/lib/puppet/ssl/ca/ca_crt.pem
>
> On the server try this command:
> md5sum /var/lib/puppet/ssl/certs/ca.pem
>
> Do all 3 certs match?
> None of the files exist. (our puppet config files are in /etc)

Hmm.  I'd guess puppet's storing the ssl config in a different location from
where puppet stores them on my system.

To get the of those files for you run as root:
puppetd --genconfig | grep 'localcacert = ' " on the client to find the
client's ssl cert location.

CA's cert path (run as root):
puppet master --genconfig | grep ' cacert = '

Then check if the md5sums of those files match between the server and the
client that gives the SSL Verify error.