Hi Jeff,

Thanks for looking into rendering; I swear it worked on Winterlong. I have had rendering halt after writing a few pages on earlier versions, but that was usually traced to mismatched asterisks as my sixth graders tried to use them to illustrate multiplication procedures.

As far as putting code into the title, you basically can't. Several
things are not allowed through the Swiki syntax (>&@:*). These are
pretty ingrained into the system, so I don't see any way around that.

I've found everything from inline styles to javascript embedded in the titles. The eighth graders are particularly fond of setting each letter to a different color on their page so the *Who Is* page has all the different colors. I'll "fix" it when one of the little tykes uses onmouseover in the title so that simply mousing over their link in the *Who Is* page loads their page. Highly annoying. And if they use a <font> tag to change their font in the title some will forget to close the tag, which means the changes page below their page takes on that font. I remember Mark describing Swiki as "anarchic" at CSCL 2002. It surely is but our teachers don't have a problem with that.

As far as IE vs. Firefox, that's a really tricky one. It sounds like
Firefox is downloading the file and then opening up MediaPlayer on the
file. Since FireFox has permission to get the file, this works. IE, on
the other hand, is just forwarding the URL to MediaPlayer. Since
MediaPlayer does not have the authentication, it has to ask for it. Could
you perhaps reconfigure IE to download the video before it passes it on
to MediaPlayer. Otherwise, this seems pretty difficult to solve.

We'll investigate IE configuration but your explanation sounds logical.

Another thing you could try is, if you know all the IPs in the classroom,
just give all of those IPs read or read/write access to the site.

Hmm, interesting idea. This is on our external server so all of the 900 computers in the school appear as the same IP but maybe we can work with that. I'll pass that on to the lower school IT coordinator and see if it works for him.

Thanks for your help. I've trained our other IT Coordinators in basic operations so that when I leave for my new school they can continue the Swikis next year to satisfy the demand by teachers.

Derrel