Just to follow up - after pulling the machine apart and then trying a
9800 GT and GT 220 (8th and 9th gen) and getting no problems I
reinstalled the GTX 480. At first it was stable, then unstable with my
code, then later stable again (and stable since).

I suspect I may have had a hardware issue (perhaps a noisy connection?
a hair? a microfracture?) but I'm pretty sure I was passing around
incompatible memory (e.g. doubles in place of floats) which presumably
will corrupt things pretty quickly. This didn't upset the GT 220 (9th
gen with double(ish) support) but maybe the new NVIDIA drivers for
Fermi are less stable.

Anyhow - it works most of the time now. The only thing that crashes it
now is s...@home (every 30-60 mins) but other GPUGrid projects which
use the Fermi are just fine.

I'm chalking this up to the 'joys of first gen hardware'.

i.

>>> http://morconsulting.com/
>>> http://TheScreencastingHandbook.com
>>> http://ProCasts.co.uk/examples.html