On Fri, 2007-04-27 at 17:27 -0700, Shannon -jj Behrens wrote:
> On 4/27/07, Cliff Wells <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > Out of curiosity, how is this ugly?  This should be mostly handled
> > transparently by the proxy (i.e. sends same sessions to same backend).
>
> If one Web server dies, all the users using that Web server lose their
> sessions.  That sucks.  It also limits the effectiveness of the load
> balancer.  It can only redistribute *new* users instead of each new
> request.

Ah. Makes sense.  I guess reading books *does* help!

> > > or b) use a session server (less ugly).
> >
> > And what do you recommend for this?
>
> If I had to make the decision today, I'd probably use memcache.

mmm.  Memcached rocks.

> > I've not seen this approach, so I'm
> > curious (or maybe the proxy acts as a session server, so we're talking
> > about the same thing?).
>
> What do you mean the proxy acts as a session server?  I don't know of
> any load balancers who can act as session servers.

I wasn't sure exactly what you meant by "session server", but now I do.
So you are correct.  I was thinking perhaps you meant "external process
that maintains sessions across backends" in which case some load
balancers do.

> By the way, this topic is covered nicely in "Scalable Internet
> Architectures" and "Building Scalable Web Sites".
>
> (weird, de ja vu ;)

If only I had time to read actual books rather than bug people on the
net for answers...

Cliff